The West Coast Science Fiction Association is happy to announce a call for submissions for the first annual WCSFA Fundraiser Anthology. The goal of these annual anthologies is to promote our member writers and raise funds for the WCSFA events we all love such as VCON, Northwest Fan Fest, and Nothing But Games!
The title of our inaugural anthology is: Power: In the Hands of One, In the Hands of Many
Submissions are open until midnight PDT November 30, 2017.
Late submissions will not be considered.
The theme for this year’s WCSFA anthology is The Transfer of Power. There are many ways power is transferred between people or groups of people: war, marriage, death, sacrifice, magic… the list goes on! We want to see a wide variety of ways power could be transferred.
Along with the theme, there is an Easter Egg requirement. Each anthology, regardless of the theme each year, will require an Easter Egg in each story related to the VCON theme of that year. An Easter Egg is a subtle reference to a theme, person, or object that will be noticed by those who know it’s there or get the reference but will not seem out of place for those who don’t. This year’s VCON theme is Relaxation, so at some point in every story, there must be something to do with relaxation. Think about many different forms of relaxation: individuals relaxing after a fight, laws being relaxed, tools used for relaxation, etc.
Note that the Easter Egg only needs to appear once (but can appear more than once) in every story to be considered. Do not focus on the Easter Egg as the main theme.
- We are accepting science fiction and fantasy submissions, as well as cross-genre submissions (as long as they are primarily science fiction or fantasy).
- Fiction prose only, no poetry.
- Up to 5,000 words. If you are submitting flash fiction, ensure the story and plot are strong and well developed.
- Stories must be submitted as .doc or .docx only.
- Include your name and contact information (email address, phone number, and city, province/state, and country of residence) in the email only. Do not include your name or contact information in the story document, as the selection process will be blind.
- Formatting: first line indent, 12pt black font, 1-inch margins, 1.5 spacing, justified.
To submit your story for consideration for this anthology, email the word document and a short bio to anthology [at] wcsfa [dot] org with the subject “WCSFA 2018 Anthology Story Submission”. If you have questions about the anthology or the call for submissions email them to secretary [at] wcsfa [dot] org.
This anthology will be curated and edited by Ellen Michelle.
Ellen is a freelance fiction editor who specializes in speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, crime, mystery, and horror). She works primarily with independent and first time authors on novels and series, but she also has a passion for anthology curating. Most of her favourite work is cross-genre (as long as it’s not romance-focused) and weird in nature, and she appreciates dark and light fiction almost equally. You can read about some of the works she’s edited at her online portfolio and hear what some of the authors and editors she’s worked with have to say about her on her testimonials page.