We need your used books!
Do you have any books sitting on your shelves that you’ve read and that you’d love to find a new home for? Or how about books lurking in your to-be-read pile that you probably aren’t going to read? If you do, we want them – we are planning a used book sale as a fundraising event for WCSFA and the events we do. But we need used books to sell!
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for books that will appeal to our community! Books must be:
- In good condition (i.e. no torn pages or major water damage)
- Any reading level. (i.e. we welcome books for children, tweens, teens and young adults)
- Any format. (i.e. we will not only accept softcover and hardcover books but also magazines, comic books, graphic novels, audiobook CDs, etc.)
- Any genre of science and fantasy fiction.
e.g. space opera, urban fantasy, high fantasy, alternate history, paranormal romance, horror, space western, manga, and all the other subgenres of SF&F!
- Non-fiction works that are “genre-adjacent” or of “geek/nerd interest”
e.g. real science and technology; analysis and critique of genre works; exploration of the fantastic – unicorns, faeries, vampires, mythology, UFOs, ghosts, etc.; biographies about people in STEM (Sci/Tech/Eng/Math), genre writers, artists of genre works, etc.; geek/nerd/ popular culture; etc.
If you’re one of our local authors we’d also be happy to accept copies of your books that you might care to donate. (With or without a signature!)
Where you can drop off books
Book donation locations include:
- The first Wednesday of every month at the WCSFA board meeting in New Westminster at 1701 8th Ave, between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM.
- At our upcoming Annual General Meeting [update: Date & Location Announced].
- During PopUp Bookshop events (see below).
- Alternate drop off locations or even pick up can be arranged by contacting our Popup Bookshop Coordinator, Andrea Driedger, at bookshop [at] wcsfa [dot] org.
Where will the money go?
In an effort to keep the cost of WCSFA events (like VCON) lower for our attendees, we will be doing more fundraising efforts like this. All the funds raised by the used book sale will help offset the cost of event operations.
When are the book sales?
- PopUp Book Shop – New West: Saturday, July 28 from 11 am to 8 pm at 1701 8th Ave in New Westminster. (map)
- PopUp Book Shop – Abbotsford: Saturday, August 25 from 11 am to 8 pm at Highstreet Mall in Abbotsford. (map)
- PopUp Book Shop – VCON: October 5 to 7 at VCON 42/Canvention 38 in Richmond.
We are also on the hunt for more free or low-cost venues to use for future book sales. Know of one? Email bookshop [at] wcsfa [dot] org.