|Purpose||Election of VCON 42 Chair|
|Date||SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2017|
|Start Time||1:30 PM – doors open 1:00 pm for sign-up, sign-in, and proxy registration|
|End Time||2:30 PM – followed by VCON Relaxicon 41½ ConCom meeting at 3 PM|
|Location||#207 – 877 E. Hastings, Vancouver, BC – Google map|
All current members in good standing of the West Coast Science Fiction Association (WCSFA) and other interested parties are invited to attend a Special General Meeting for the purpose of formally electing a chair for VCON 42/Canvention 38 (to be held in October 2018).
Details for the date, time and location are noted above. Information about the planned SGM agenda, member qualification, proxy voting requirements, and contact information for further questions are included below.
2017/18 WCSFA President & Corresponding Secretary
- Call to order
- Acceptance of Proxies
- Adoption of the rules of order
- Presentations by candidates for VCON 42 Chair
- Chris Sturges
- Additional candidates, if any
- Voting for Chair of VCON 42
- Closing Remarks
Any individual who meets one or more of the following criteria is an active member of the Association:
- You registered for a paid membership to a recent (within the past year) or upcoming membership-supported WCSFA event;
- You registered for a complimentary VIP or Sponsor membership to a recent or upcoming membership-supported WCSFA event;
- You made a donation to WCSFA or one of its events within the past 12 months;
- You directly purchased a WCSFA membership within the past 12 months;
- You have a Lifetime Membership to WCSFA
You are a WCSFA member in good standing for this Special General Meeting if the above is true AND
- You do not currently owe any debts to WCSFA.
Members in good standing who are aged 13 and older as of the date of a General Meeting are also Voting Members and are eligible to vote on any motions made during the meeting. Members who are aged 19 and older are eligible to run for election to the Board of Directors or as the Chair for running an event.
If you are not an active member of the Association you are still only welcome to attend the SGM either as an observer or you may become a voting member by purchasing a $5 voting membership or a membership to our upcoming VCON Relaxicon 41½ event. These can both be done in advance through Eventbrite at http://vcon-relax.eventbrite.ca/#tickets or on-site at the SGM, during the “sign-in and sign-up” period between 1:00 pm and 1:30 pm
If you are not sure whether you are an active WCSFA member, please contact the WCSFA Secretary (secretary [at] wcsfa [dot] org), before FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2017 to check your status.
Instructions on how to set up a proxy vote are in the next section.
A WCSFA member in good standing may give their proxy to any other member in good standing. A proxy is only valid for a single general meeting and may be provided as described here:
- A proxy is given by providing a written notice to the directors indicating the following:
- the name and WCSFA ID number (if known) of the member in good standing whose proxy is given,
- the name and WCSFA ID number (if known) of the member in good standing to whom the proxy is being given,
- the date of the general meeting at which the proxy will be valid, and
- the specific motions, resolutions or elections to which the proxy is to be restricted if any.
- Notice of proxy may be provided to the directors in the following ways:
- as a paper notice that is both dated and signed by the member giving the proxy, submitted by postal mail or in person, or
- as an electronic mail message sent to the electronic mail addresses of the President, the Vice President and the Secretary from the registered email address of the member giving the proxy – (that is, the email address that this notice was sent to).
- All notices of proxy must be received by the directors prior to or at the start of the general meeting at which the proxy is valid.
To submit a paper notice by postal mail send it to the following address:
WCSFA SGM Proxy Notice
Box 78069, Grandview RPO
Vancouver, BC V5N 5W1
To submit a paper notice in person you may make arrangements to deliver it by hand to any current director of the board or it may be given to the member who will hold the proxy and handed into the board prior to the start of the general meeting.
As noted in instruction step 1.d the member must choose whether the proxy is applicable to ALL motions, resolutions, and elections to be voted on at the meeting or if it is restricted to only some. Restrictions can be applied by, for example, naming specific, individual motion(s) or resolution(s) noted on the agenda, specifying it is only for elections of members of the WCSFA Board of Directors, etc.
With a proxy, your vote will be assigned the same value as that of the person holding your proxy. That is, you may not choose to specify what your vote choice is independent of that person.