2018 Annual General Meeting
To: All current WCSFA members and interested parties
From: West Coast Science Fiction Association Board of Directors
|Purpose||2018 AGM – reports from 2017/18 board, elections: VCON 43 chair, directors.|
|Date||SAT, JUNE 30, 2018|
|Start Time||2:00 PM – doors open 1:30 pm for sign-up, sign-in, and proxy registration|
|End Time||4:00 PM – followed by a half-hour for cleanup|
|Location||Bonsor Recreation Complex, 6550 Bonsor, Burnaby, BC|
All current members in good standing of the West Coast Science Fiction Association (WCSFA) and other interested parties are invited to attend an Annual General Meeting for the purpose of hearing reports from the 2017/18 board, electing a chair for VCON 43 (to be held October 2019), and electing members to the WCSFA Board of Directors to replace those whose 2-year terms have expired.
Details for the date, time and location are noted above. Information about the planned agenda, member qualification, proxy voting requirements, and contact information for further questions are included below.
For additional information about this General Meeting, or anything else related to WCSFA or it’s events, please feel free to contact any of the following:
- Jenni Merrifield (WCSFA President) – president [at] wcsfa [dot] org
- Dava Carter (WCSFA Vice President) – vicepresident [at] wcsfa [dot] org
- Call to order
- Acceptance of Proxies
- Adoption of the rules of order
- Reports from the 2017/18 Board
- President’s Report
- Treasurer’s Report
- Electing the VCON 43 Chair
- Nomination of candidates
- Presentation from each candidate (5-10 min)
- Voting for VCON 43 Chair
- Electing Directors to the WCSFA Board
- Nominations of candidates
- Statement from each Nominee (< 2 min)
- Voting for WCSFA Board of Directors
- Closing Remarks
About Elections to the Board of Directors
Any active member aged 19+ may be nominated from the floor to run for a position on the board. Self-nominations are both allowed and encouraged. Those who are nominated and accept must be prepared to make a brief statement (< 2 min) about themselves and why they are interested in sitting on the board.
We will be looking for between two and four members to join the 2018/19 board as the directors with terms expiring this year are those in Group 2 as defined in WCSFA’s bylaws, section 26 (1), shown below.
26 (1) Seats on the Board of Directors will be split into two groups, with each group to be elected for two-year terms in alternate years.
(a) Group 1 to be a minimum of three and a maximum of five seats.
(b) Group 2 to be a minimum of two and a maximum of four seats.
About the Election of the VCON Chair
Any active member aged 19+ may be nominated from the floor to run for the position of VCON Chair. Self-nominations are both allowed and encouraged. Those who are nominated and accept must be able to make a short presentation (5-10 min) about themselves and their plans for the event if they win (e.g. theme(s) they have in mind, new ideas they’d like to try, existing process they would change or expect to keep as is, information about any guests or sponsors they have in mind or may have tentatively contacted, etc.)
While the WCSFA Board of Directors does not require anyone planning to run for this position to inform them before the AGM, it is beneficial if they do let us know as it helps us judge how much time we will need for this portion of the meeting.
Note that candidates will not need to concern themselves with the question of a venue as WCSFA has already negotiated and signed a contract for Oct 4-6, 2019 at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport.
Any individual who meets one or more of the following criteria is an Active member of the organization:
- You registered for a paid membership to a recent (within the past year) or upcoming membership-supported WCSFA event;
- You registered for a complimentary VIP or Sponsor membership to a recent or upcoming membership-supported WCSFA event;
- You made a donation to WCSFA or one of its events within the past 12 months;
- You directly purchased a WCSFA membership within the past 12 months;
- You have a Lifetime Membership to WCSFA
You are a WCSFA member in good standing for this General Meeting if the above is true AND
- You do not currently owe any debts to WCSFA.
Members in good standing who are aged 13 and older as of the date of a General Meeting are also Voting Members and are eligible to vote on any motions made during the meeting. Members who are aged 19 and older are eligible to run for election to the Board of Directors or for the position of VCON Chair.
If you are not an active member of the Association, you are welcome to attend the General Meeting either as an observer or as a voting member by paying a $5 voting membership fee or by purchasing a membership to an upcoming member-sponsored event. These can both be done on-site at the General Meeting, during the initial “sign-in and sign-up” period.
If you are not sure whether you are an active WCSFA member, please contact the WCSFA Secretary (secretary [at] wcsfa [dot] org), before THURSDAY, JUNE 28, 2018 to check your status.
How to Set Up A WCSFA Voting Proxy
A WCSFA member in good standing may give their proxy to any other member in good standing. A proxy is only valid for a single general meeting and may be provided as described here:
- A proxy is given by providing written notice to the directors indicating the following:
- the name of the member in good standing whose proxy is given,
- the name of the member in good standing to whom the proxy is being given,
- the date of the general meeting at which the proxy will be valid, and
- the specific motions, resolutions or elections to which the proxy is to be restricted if any.
- Notice of proxy may be provided to the directors in the following ways:
- as a paper notice that is both dated and signed by the member giving the proxy, submitted by postal mail or in person, or
- as an electronic mail message sent to the electronic mail addresses of the President, the Vice President and the Secretary from the registered email address of the member giving the proxy – (that is, the email address that this notice was sent to).
- All notices of proxy must be received by the directors prior to or at the start of the general meeting at which the proxy is valid.
To submit a paper notice by postal mail send it to the following address:
WCSFA SGM Proxy Notice
Box 78069, Grandview RPO
Vancouver, BC V5N 5W1
To submit a paper notice in person, you may make arrangements to deliver it by hand to any current director of the board, or it may be given to the member who will hold the proxy and handed into the board prior to the start of the general meeting.
As noted in instruction step 1.d the member must choose whether the proxy is applicable to ALL motions, resolutions, and elections to be voted on at the meeting or if it is restricted to only some. Restrictions can be applied by, for example, naming specific, individual motion(s) or resolution(s) noted on the agenda, specifying it is only for elections of members of the WCSFA Board of Directors, etc.
With a proxy, your vote will be assigned the same value as that of the person holding your proxy. That is, you may not choose to specify what your vote choice is independent of that person.